top of page

Forest Crop Law & Managed Forest Law Information

Information about land enrolled under either the Forest Crop Law or the Managed Forest Law may be obtained from the DNR Forestry Office: 

400 Hewett Street 
Room 106 
Neillsville, WI 54456 

or by calling (888) 936-7463. The 
DNR website also contains more forest tax law information. Forest croplands are open to the public for hunting and fishing. Lands enrolled in the open category of the Managed Forest Law are available to the public for hunting, fishing, hiking, sightseeing, and cross-country skiing. Under the Managed Forest Law, the landowner has the choice to enroll the land as open or closed to the public. Higher property taxes are paid on closed lands. It is the landowner's responsibility to post closed lands. 

Consideration During Use 
Although you need not ask permission to go onto forest croplands or open managed forest lands, please respect the landowner's rights. Vehicular access does not have to be granted. Do not litter or damage the property. If the landowner has identified access lanes, stay on the lanes and be sure to close gates. As a courtesy to the landowner, you may wish to let the owner know if you will be on the property, especially if the landowner lives near the site. 

Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM  |  517 Court St., Room 103  |  Neillsville, WI  54456  |  Phone: (715) 743-5140    

bottom of page